Saturday, March 22, 2008

Week One Ends

Today marks the end of one of the most busy, interesting, and curiously enjoyable weeks of my life. It has been a monstrous deviation from my normal life, and in that respect has been a sort of vacation--an escape from normalcy and total removal from the cares of my job, almost like I was living someone else's life for a week.

We got a lot accomplished today. Mom-Mom and Papa came down to help for the third consecutive day. We are enormously grateful to them; without their help we would be far behind where we are now. My father-in-law Wayne helped us get the bathtub set into its place, then Papa and I worked on the tub surround. The existing studs were a little out of plane and were set too far back from the above wall for my tile job to work right, so we screwed new lengths of 2-by-4's alongside them, defining a new plane to which the tile backer board will be secured. We then worked together with my dad on installing a sort of frame for sheetrock that will create new wall and ceiling sections where the soffit used to be. These were all very tedious and time-consuming tasks, and I'm very glad they got done today. I owe a lot of thanks to Dad and Papa for helping with them. Mom-Mom and Jessica trimmed some shrubs in the front, and Wayne and Jessica worked on the kitchen-to-garage door.

There's still a lot left to do, and some of the work is quite intimidating, but I had fun this week and I'm looking forward to making more progress, although after tomorrow we'll be returning to our real jobs and of course we'll have far less time to work on the house. It will be aggravating to have to go back to work knowing there is still so much left to do at the house. I figure I'll try to work a couple of nights each week, and of course on the weekends. We need to have the house move-in-able by the end of May, and we hope to have most everything finished not too long after that.

This may be the last post for a few days, but keep checking the blog for exciting new updates on our plumbing!

No comments: