Last week, Jessica decided to stain the inside of the front door. We had been planning on painting it because there was some damage on the inside from when the holes for the door hardware were cut. I had repaired the damage with some wood putty, but we were afraid it would be clearly visible through stain. But Jessica tested out a little stain on the damaged part and it looked okay, so she went ahead and stained the whole thing. It turned out very nicely, and the hardened wood putty took the stain very well, so you can hardly even tell it's there at all. To put it mildly, Jessica was extremely pleased with the way it turned out. (My pictures, though, didn't turn out so well; I definitely did something wrong when I took them.)
Now, I can't imagine having it painted; it looks fantastic. More kudos to Jessica! (Maybe I'll try to take a better picture and post it later.)
Friday evening, we went to Lowe's and bought about 170 feet of quarter-round, then we brought it home and painted it all. It wasn't fun.
Saturday, Mom-Mom and Papa came down at around 9:00, and work began very soon. Jessica decided that she and Papa could put in quarter-round while I worked on the kitchen floor. She wants the refrigerator to be put in as soon as possible, so we decided I should just grout the part of the floor on which it will reside. Here's that part of the floor after a pre-grout sealing:
Grouting went well, and after I apply a final coat (or two) of sealant to it in a couple of days, we'll be able to have our refrigerator delivered.
Jessica, Papa, and Mom-Mom worked hard on putting in quarter-round. They finished installation in the living room, the hallway, and the brown room.
Today, Jessica intends to paint over the filled nail-holes. I, of course, shall be continuing work on the kitchen floor. I'll likely be cleaning out grout lines in preparation for much more grouting this coming week.